Classes for Kids 4 through 8 Years
Sing, Dance, Drum, Play!
Chris & James
Arthur & Oliver
Do I Need a Djembe Drum at Home?
While you don’t strictly need a Djembe at home, the more you engage in musical play of any kind, the better it is for development – not to mention family enjoyment and bonding! Level II Kids are expected to have a Djembe at home.
Another reason having a home drum is a great idea, is because as long as you do it a few times a week, you are setting the stage for habit-building in other walks of life, and certainly for practicing when they arrive at and do private music lessons.
ABC Academy is offering a home drum rental for $14.97 per month, per drum, so you can jam out, play along, or just get the day’s stress out as a family! We’ll ask you about if you want Drums for home when you register!
Level I: 4 through 6 Year Olds
Rhythm Kids Level 1 guides children toward developmentally appropriate music and movement activities, where they can begin to take charge, lead others, and be musically creative, as they:
- make up their own drumming patterns
- invent new ways to play rhythm instruments (shakers, sticks, etc.)
- create movement ideas for songs
- even take a drum solo!
- Explore the world of rhythm through movement, instrument play, and song
- Develop basic rhythm skills, like keeping beat, improvising, ensemble play, and soloing
- Learn to create, cooperate, and express themselves musically
Level II: 6 through 8 Year Olds
optional Parent/Caregiver attendance
Your children continue their musical journey to integrate and assimilate rhythm into their lives, as they:
- learn multicultural drumming patterns;
- develop new repertoire on various percussion instruments;
- explore movement and dance while singing songs;
- play games based on music and drumming;
- Learn, create, discover and explore music, movement and drumming
- Enjoy age-appropriate ways to play rhythm instruments (shakers, tambourines, etc.)
- Explore traditional drumming patterns through animal names and movements
- Experience drumming, song, and dance from around the world (Mali, Puerto Rico, Turkey, etc.)
- Find new ways to connect mind, body, and voice through rhythm
- Develop skill in improvising, soloing, conducting, composition, and improvisation
- Participate in active musical games that are both enriching and totally fun!
- have fun with a host of rhythm activities.
Please Note: Level II Rhythm Kids are expected to have their own Djembe at home to practice their Animal Patterns!
Music Together art & logo design © 1992-2016 Music Together LLC. Music Together is a registered trademark. ABC Academy of Music is licensed by Music Together LLC. For more locations: www.musictogether.com – (800) 728-2692
‘Bout My Friends: Tom Foote and Justine Chadley, arranged by Kenneth K. Guilmartin – ©2017 Music Together LLC (ASCAP) • Kakilambe: Traditional, arranged and adapted by Kenneth K. Guilmartin – ©2015 Music Together LLC (ASCAP) • Chandamaama Raave: Traditional, arranged and adapted with English Lyrics by Kenneth K. Guilmartin and Tom Foote – ©2017 Music Together LLC (ASCAP) • Hip Hop Hippo: Tom Foote and Kenneth K. Guilmartin, arranged with Lawrence Haber and Karttikeya – ©2016 Music Together LLC (ASCAP)