In 2017-18 ABC Academy will be one of 50 centres worldwide
taking part in the third of a 3-year rollout of Rhythm Kids!
We are tremendously excited about this and working hard to get our teaching team up to speed for this new and exciting Music Together journey!
We’d love to have you join us, and hope you do! Do reach out and call us anytime, and ask for your free demo class!
Rhythm Kids Music Classes in Toronto
What is Rhythm Kids?
Rhythm Kids follows through on the Music Together® vision to help children complete the pathway of early childhood music development from birth through age eight. Each week we drum, sing, dance, introduce and play rhythm instruments, and begin to play music-based games. Rhythm Kids guides children toward developmentally appropriate music and movement activities, where they can begin to take charge, lead others, and be musically creative, as they grow. Keep reading for detailed program information!
What Makes Rhythm Kids the Right Choice?
Rhythm Kids not only extends a traditional Music Together experience, but also allows any child to enter into a class and start to grow their musical skills and love by emphasizing the best educational models appropriate to their age:
- Social interaction with peers
- A carefully curated musical ‘diet’ and experience designed to broaden their horizons culturally, historically, rhythmically, and tonally
- A play- and fun-based, yet structured environment in which to grow
ABC Academy chooses Rhythm Kids by Music Together because it is the right choice educationally and developmentally. We take our families’ time and money seriously, as well as our responsibilities as teachers, and making sure that they get the best experience and education are our top priorities. We chose Music Together precisely for this reason, and it continues to be our driving force.
What About Private Music Lessons?
At ABC Academy, our priority is to make sure you and your child get the musical experience that will allow you to celebrate music for your entire lives. Because each child is different developmentally, private music lessons may not be the best place to start at a young age. Why? Kids are not built for sitting still!
Your child learns using all of their senses, moving around, touching, feeling, listening, and doing. A private music lesson is something they can do, but it isn’t the only way, and may not be the best way for your child to learn.
We recommend waiting until your child is a minimum of 5 years old. This way, you align a good level of physical dexterity, physical size, socialization, the introduction of literacy, and the start of more sit-down activities for the greatest success and most effective use of your time and money. If you choose to do both, we’ll give you a great discount. Combining lessons and Rhythm Kids is a great way to accelerate development!
Do Parents Come?
Parents are expected to come for Rhythm Kids Level I, and are optional attendance for Level II. Your children will only be this age once, and their learning – and embracing of the learning process – is accelerated and more effective when You are involved.
We guarantee you will have fun that you will remember for a lifetime, all the while developing great new social and group skills, friends, and a community of fellow music lovers.
Do I Need a Djembe Drum at Home?
While you don’t strictly need a Djembe at home, the more you engage in musical play of any kind, the better it is for development – not to mention family enjoyment and bonding!
Another reason having a home drum is a great idea, is because as long as you do it a few times a week, you are setting the stage for habit-building in other walks of life, and certainly for practicing when they arrive at and do private music lessons.
ABC Academy is offering a home drum rental for $14.97 per month, per drum, so you can jam out, play along, or just get the day’s stress out as a family! We’ll ask you about if you want Drums for home when you register!
Level I: 4 & 5 Year Olds
Starts October 2017
Rhythm Kids Level 1 guides children toward developmentally appropriate music and movement activities, where they can begin to take charge, lead others, and be musically creative, as they:
- make up their own drumming patterns
- invent new ways to play rhythm instruments (shakers, sticks, etc.)
- create movement ideas for songs
- even take a drum solo!
- Explore the world of rhythm through movement, instrument play, and song
- Develop basic rhythm skills, like keeping beat, improvising, ensemble play, and soloing
- Learn to create, cooperate, and express themselves musically
Level II: 6 through 8 Year Olds
optional Parent/Caregiver attendance
Your children continue their musical journey to integrate and assimilate rhythm into their lives, as they:
- learn multicultural drumming patterns;
- develop new repertoire on various percussion instruments;
- explore movement and dance while singing songs;
- play games based on music and drumming;
- Learn, create, discover and explore music, movement and drumming
- Enjoy age-appropriate ways to play rhythm instruments (shakers, tambourines, etc.)
- Explore traditional drumming patterns through animal names and movements
- Experience drumming, song, and dance from around the world (Mali, Puerto Rico, Turkey, etc.)
- Find new ways to connect mind, body, and voice through rhythm
- Develop skill in improvising, soloing, conducting, composition, and improvisation
- Participate in active musical games that are both enriching and totally fun!
- have fun with a host of rhythm activities.
Music Together art & logo design © 1992-2016 Music Together LLC. Music Together is a registered trademark. ABC Academy of Music is licensed by Music Together LLC. For more locations: www.musictogether.com – (800) 728-2692
‘Bout My Friends: Tom Foote and Justine Chadley, arranged by Kenneth K. Guilmartin – ©2017 Music Together LLC (ASCAP) • Kakilambe: Traditional, arranged and adapted by Kenneth K. Guilmartin – ©2015 Music Together LLC (ASCAP) • Chandamaama Raave: Traditional, arranged and adapted with English Lyrics by Kenneth K. Guilmartin and Tom Foote – ©2017 Music Together LLC (ASCAP) • Hip Hop Hippo: Tom Foote and Kenneth K. Guilmartin, arranged with Lawrence Haber and Karttikeya – ©2016 Music Together LLC (ASCAP)