I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!
– Reminder: try to find the Zoom link and music in your email a few minutes before class starts, so it doesn’t take up class time.
– Recommended practice time: usually, I would advise 30-45 min/day 5 days/week, but I know this is a difficult time and that it is hard to get the motivation to practice, especially as a social musician. So instead, try to set small, easily achievable goals. For example: “Today, I will practice for just 5 minutes” or “Today, I will play 3 scales.” Hopefully, these won’t seem overwhelming and will get you playing at least a little. And then later, we can keep adding on to it.
– Practice: All A scales (major, natural minor, harmonic minor, melodic minor – two octaves), go over left hand positions (1-2, 2-3, 3-4, open, and spock), and practice treble clef notation reading on musictheory.net. On the homepage, go to “exercises” and the first exercise “note identification”. Say the letter name out loud first before playing on your violin. Finally, go over the first few lines of Judas Maccabeas and listen to the piece on YouTube.
– Reminder: we have a new lesson time of 2:15 pm. Thank you so much for your patience and understanding over the confusion and mix-up this week.
– Recommended practice time: 15-20 min/day, 5 days/week
– Practice: D Major scale (with both 1-2 and 2-3 finger positions), Oh Come Little Children (bowings), May Song (dynamics), and Long Long Ago (notes and rhythms, and listen to the piece on YouTube). Continue to slowly play through Question, and if you’d like, you can start looking at Disillusion. It’s a difficult piece but we will go through it slowly!
Thank you and happy playing!