Avril – Continue working on everything you’ve been working on (Czerny, scales, Bohemian Rhapsody). On top of that, please work on your analysis of ‘There’s Nothing Holding Me Back’ by Shawn Mendes. Here is a tool that may help you: I found the instrumental version of the song on YouTube. This may help to clarify what each instrument is doing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0Q3-P9lUa4 In addition, here are the notes we created together on songs and song structure in your lesson. Fill in what’s missing.
What does a song have?
What’s in ‘Love of my Life’ by Queen?
- First verse
- Second verse
- ‘Freestyle’ piano (improvisation)
- Intros and outros
What’s in “There’s Nothing Holding Me Back”?
- Intro, 0:00 (instrumental, acoustic guitar, G-Bm-A~~; crescendo into the verse)
- Verse 1, 0:08 (singing, same chords as intro but twice, quarter notes on kick drum; electric bass on offbeats/upbeats, no guitar)
- Pre-chorus, 0:23 (everything’s the same except: one more voice, and different melody, electric guitar ushers in the chorus)
- Chorus, 0:39 (different melody, adding electric guitar which
- Verse 2
Kristen – Focus on the ii-V-I shell voicings in all 12 keys this week. Sing with them (make up simple melodies, use your ears), and every time you change a key NAME the key out loud. Also take a listen to some Red Garland. Just as much Red Garland as you possibly can. He recorded a lot of music, so just take your pick. Pick 2 or 3 recordings that you especially like and tell me about them next week. If there is time, you can also work on your major and minor scales, and white key broken and blocked chord sequences.