ABC Kids’ Choirs
Where Pop Music, Tradition, and Education Meet for the Best Experience You Can Have!
FREE October & November 2018 – Registration Now Open!
Kids Aged 10-14, call now to book! 416-651-7529
Children’s Choirs in Toronto
Children’s choirs are available at ABC Academy of Music in Toronto. Call now to register or for more information.
Voice – Your Child’s Instrument
The voice is our built-in instrument, and our natural form of expression. Harnessing this most natural form of self-expression to build vital and enjoyable life skills starts with singing, and singing with others.
Why a Choir?
Choirs are a simple and effective way to tap into things that make us satisfied, happy people:
- Social interaction with peers
- A safe environment to grow skills with others
- A carefully curated musical ‘diet’ and experience designed to broaden their horizons culturally, historically, rhythmically, and tonally
- A traditional and fun-based, yet structured environment in which to grow, and gradually increase challenge and satisfaction
What About Private Music Lessons?
At ABC Academy, our priority is to make sure you and your child get the musical experience that will allow you to celebrate music for your entire lives. Because each child is in a slightly different developmental range, and as some children are shy, or simply dislike being the focus of a lesson, private music lessons may not be the best place to start. Some kids just react better in a group setting, with the stimulation and interaction with other peers in roughly the same age group.
You can still do private lessons as well, as they are an excellent complement to choirs, and vice-versa. These can be any lessons that ABC offers, not just voice!
If you choose to do both, we’ll give you a great discount. Combining private lessons and Choir is a great way to accelerate development!
How Does Choir Work?
Students are led through a warm-up (so they don’t hurt their voices), age-appropriate music theory instruction (so kids understand how the music they sing works), and singing a balance of traditional and popular music.
We guarantee you will have fun that you will remember for a lifetime, all the while developing great new social and group skills, friends, and a community of fellow music lovers.
Are There Concerts? Yes!
At a minimum, choirs will perform at our winter and spring recitals. When possible, choirs will also perform in public, street festivals, music festivals, and other opportunities as they arise. All concerts are mandatory for students.
Our Choirs, By Age & Level
ABC Jr. Choir:
8 through 10 Year Olds
Jr. Choir is a foundational group, designed to:
- transition kids from Rhythm Kids
- introduce a Conductor and following traditional musical direction
- refining tuning, and introducing group tuning
- refining rhythm, and introducing group timing
- expanding literacy concepts, and the beginnings of learning music
- introduction of basic harmony/part singing (polyphony)
Weekly Rehearsal, 1h per week.
10 through 14 Year Olds
Starts October 2018 – Free in October & November!
ABC Choir includes all of the Jr. Choir foundations, and expands to include:
- Up to 3 part harmony
- increased rhythmic complexity
- increased melodic complexity
- more songs, and higher expectations for preparedness
- expanded, advancing music theory instruction
Weekly rehearsal, 1.5h per week.
This advanced group is intended for the highest degree of challenge and enjoyment, and may be independent of, or in addition to either of the other choirs. Expect:
- Longer rehearsals
- Multi-part harmony
- Challenging Rhythm
- Required minimum practice at home
- Required competition participation
This group will be by invitation and recommendation, but a student may request to be considered, so don’t be shy.
Weekly Rehearsals, 1.5h minimum per week.