If you would like to have lessons that do not conflict with soccer direct your parents to this website : https://music-lessons.ca/
Be aware of your posture! Sit at the edge of your seat with your feet flat on the ground.
Warmup/ Technique exercises:
- play long held notes in the middle of your range (G, E, F ), be sure to take a focused and full breath before!
- in quarter notes alternate between playing E flat (second valve) and F (first valve). Think of them as connected. If you are having trouble pitching, play the notes on a keyboard (A flat, B flat would be the notes on the keyboard) to get the pitches in your head.
The Final Countdown:
- find out which part you are going to play in band; but until then see if you can practice both parts.
- start thinking in subdivisions. think of each bar as 1 e + a 2 e + a 3 e + a 4 e + a
- practice the rhythms away from the horn by saying the subdivisions while clapping the rhythm. connect the saying the subdivisions with clapping the rhythm by emphasizing the bits that line up with the clap ie eighth note 16th note 16th note half note quarter note would be said: ONE e AND A TWO e and a three e and a FOUR e and a
Other things to practice:
- take some time to play around with the horn and just move through different notes and sounds. Explore what you can do.
- try to expand your range by aiming higher or lower than you can already play