Boy, have we missed our regular classes! There is an unbelievable pleasure and satisfaction in meeting with you every week, and this has been really hard on us as teachers.
While young children are at very low risk for themselves, the associated risks for parents and grandparents has been top of mind for us as we’ve considered how to best re-start our classes.
We have also been considering that, even in the course of our regular operations, families miss classes every week. So, the first thing we would like to announce is that we will continue to offer at least one class per week of Music Together Online (including Rhythm Kids) this fall. The total number of online classes per week will depend on whether or not we can open our locations and start regular classes again.
Otherwise, our plan, which is highly subject to change, will resemble this:
- We will not begin in-person instruction until the Province and Municipal Health Officers allow all businesses to be fully re-open, and subject to our individual location partners’ individual decisions to open.
1.1. We will wait a minimum of a full 3 weeks from this date to begin in-person classes.
1.2 If outdoor classes are allowed and can be safely conducted, we may offer these without the 3-week wait described in 1.1. Families will be responsible for controlling children to preserve social distancing, and may also be asked to bring some instruments to participate in class (those which we cannot provide and properly clean). Such class offerings will be hybrid, with a digital component still offered weekly to offset any inclement weather week-to-week that would make attending classes outdoors impossible.
- When we start, we hope to begin in October (on our normal schedule), and we will have a flexible approach inclusive of:
2.1. No student/family will be required to attend in-person classes, and may choose to continue digital classes through December 2020 (at a minimum) based on their individual decisions around safety.
2.2 Teachers may elect to continue to offer digital lessons if they elect to do so on the basis of their personal safety, and may continue to deliver lessons digitally to their students through December 2020 (at a minimum). If no teachers are prepared to return to in-person classes, all classes will be delivered digitally with a target start date of January 2021 for in-person classes to resume.
- If there is any occurrence of the virus at a class location, we will halt all in-person classes at that specific location only, for a minimum period of 3 weeks. The new start date would be outlined at the time of the halt of in-person classes.
- Anyone not feeling well on a class day will be required to stay home. They may take/teach their lessons from home. This will be a requirement for the entire 2020-21 school year.
4.1. This applies to outdoor classes, as well. Not well? Please don’t come and use the digital class that week.
- All families will be required to have and use their own hand cleaning/sanitizing equipment before the start of each class.
- All families and teachers will be required to attend classes with the Health Canada COVID Alert app installed on a bluetooth-capable device.
6.1. This applies to outdoor classes, as well. Families without an app on-device and in-hand will be asked to leave.
- We will only use easily cleaned equipment in our classes for a minimum period through December 2020. Materials such as scarves, Djembes with heads made of skin, will not be used. Rhythm Kids will be encouraged to bring their own Djembe (although we will work on a substitute option).
- There will be no in-person demo classes for new families through the end of December 2021 to minimize external interactions and maintain a class cohort approach.
- Families will not be able to take make-ups in other classes as we have traditionally done – the make-ups will be provided in the form of the weekly online classes.
You may have some concern virus transmission while singing in a group setting. We have not made any decisions on this at this time, as we are still examining and waiting for further, scientific information about this. We will update you on our approach to this as we get closer to October. The priority will be to make safety-first decisions.