This is the update you have all been waiting for.
We have decided that the Covid situation can now be called Endemic. This is just a fancy way to say that Covid is now common, and a normal part of life. The Flu, for instance, is endemic, while Small Pox or Malaria are not. See the PS below for more information about this.
As a result, we have decided to end our Policies and Procedures for a State of Emergency effective July 1st, 2022. That said, there are some things that will change, and others that will not. Please read below carefully.
What Will Not Change?
- We will continue to be a fully Hybrid School, with lessons and classes being available through digital service.
- You may continue to take fully digital lessons indefinitely, if you choose. Just let us know when re-registering.
What Will Change?
- Proof of Vaccination will no longer be required.
- Use of the Covid Alert will no longer be required.
- Class limits and restrictions on demo visitors will be removed.
What Stays the Same for Now?
- We will continue to respect requests that we wear masks in lessons/classes if you ask us to, and ask you to do the same for us.
- We will continue to encourage cleaning procedures between students be maintained at current levels.
- We will continue to ask you to stay away if you show any illness, and use either a digital Home-on-Demand lesson, or digital/archived class.
- For your safety we will continue to move in-person lessons to a digital lesson if needed when a teacher may be ill, but can still teach.
The ABC Team
What does ‘Endemic’ look like?
Taking Flu as an example, 39% of people were vaccinated for this in 2020, and the average number vaccinated has hovered near 30% from 2010 to 2020.
By comparison, approximately 88.9% of all Toronto residents 12 and older have received two doses, with 91.5 per cent having gotten at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. More than 64.5 per cent of eligible residents have received a third dose. The most up-to-date vaccine coverage data is available on the City’s COVID-19: Vaccine Data webpage.
Recent and consistent downward trends in indicators show all areas of concern decreasing.