- Practice the beats we wrote on the sheet from 2 classes ago along to a metronome. Set the metronome to 100. Once you can play ALL the drum beats we wrote down at that tempo (speed), raise the metronome to 110 and repeat. Then take the tempo up to 120. Keep increasing the metronome my increments of 10 until you get to 140. 140 is the actual tempo in No Problem. REMEMBER: Go through ALL the drum beats we wrote down before you increase the tempo.
- Check out this drummer. He’s only 15!
I’m sorry to hear about your finger! This week, practice if you can but don’t force yourself if it’s uncomfortable. Assuming everything’s alright, I’ll see you next Saturday. I think we can still do some playing without agitating the finger.
- Practice the 6 beats we wrote down.
- Don’t try to memorise them (it’s ok if it happens naturally, though). I want you to focus on being able to read and play at the same time.
- Count “1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and” out loud.
- If you get stumped, try just playing the hi-hat part, then eventually add the snare drum, then finally add the bass drum part. Let’s call this a “layered entry” because you start with one layer (the hi-hat) and then add in others (snare, bass).