Eliana should practice 4-5 times per week for 30-45 mins per session.
- Practice with the metronome
- First movement – focus on the bars/section with trills this week
- Second movement – review
- Third movement – polish up articulation (detached playing, and end of slurs)
- Keep working up to the same spot hands together, with fluency; add more bars and practice hands separately
Anastasia should practice 4-5 times per week for 15-20 mins per session.
- Try to read the music, practice and review the song like how we played in class!
- Start looking at the next song
- Make sure we bring this book to every lesson!
Vivienne should practice 4-5 times per week for 15-20 mins per session.
Maple Leaf Rag
- ALWAYS play with a consistent and steady tempo without rushing or slowing down in parts.
- Focus and work on fluency on the second page!
Chantal should practice 4-5 times per week at 15 – 20 mins per session
A Dozen A day
- Review and perfect our old and new exercises from A Dozen A Day.
- Row Row – try not to rush the quarter notes in the 3rd line of music; all quarter notes should be played on each beat while counting “1, 2, 3”
Way in a Manger
- Practice both hands separately!
Alyssa should practice 4-5 times per week at 30 mins – 1 hr per session.
- Work on the keys we struggle with (often with most sharps/flats), with correct fingering, accuracy, clarity, and use the metronome.
Sonatina in F
- Try not to play too harsh on notes marked “f”, but to play “into the keys”.
- Play the detached notes and end-of-slur notes less staccato-like.
Minuet in E
- At the end of each phrase, make sure both of our L.H. and R.H. are getting off the quarter notes together
- Check your tempo with the metronome, don’t go over speed.
When Rivers Flowed on Mars
- Phrasing – try not to accent the last note of each phrase (it should be the softest out of all).
- Work towards the minimum required tempo on both etudes – only move up by 2 at a time on the metronome
- Practice with dynamic changes/phrasing
Maria should practice 4-5 times per week at 15-20 mins per session.
- Keep working on this until we can play it fluently, and a little faster
- Learn the notes hands separately – look for repetitions!
Claire should practice 4-5 times per week at 15 – 30 mins per session.
The Piano Playin’ Chocolate Eater Blues
- Swing ALL 8th notes
- Work on the tremolos at the end like how we worked on in class – more wrist movement, less pushing from the fingers
- Keep practice hands separately until smooth.
Anna should practice 4-5 times per week at 20 – 40 mins per session.
Rivers Flow in You
- Focus on the last 2-3 pages of the piece
- Experiment musically with the last page marked “freely”
- Be on time with the left hand “B’s” on the 3rd page
- Memorize the 3rd page!
Over the Rainbow
- Polish up with more musical phrasing – look at every written dynamic, tempo, and phrase markings