I’ve sent you 3 more reeds and some pad paper/cigarette paper for cleaning the keys; make sure you save your dead reeds and shipping containers (just the clear plastic case) and then send them back with the postage paid envelope when you’ve got 6 or more – I can sanitize and reuse the case and the ‘staples’ which are the cork and metal part of the reed.
Books & materials to buy
- Needed: Gekeler Method for oboe books 1 & 2:
- Book 1 https://www.amazon.ca/Gekeler-Method-Oboe-Bk-1/dp/0769222145/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=gekeler+method+for+oboe+2&qid=1577569732&sr=8-1-fkmr1&linkCode=ll1&tag=abacofmu-20&linkId=f74f0ee6f43128bcb732e477fc17b55e&language=en_CA
- Book 2: https://www.amazon.ca/Gekeler-Method-Oboe-Bk-2/dp/0769228682/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=gekeler+method+for+oboe+2&qid=1577569732&sr=8-1&linkCode=ll1&tag=abacofmu-20&linkId=9dbdb0f16b7d39a5a8e270f2482e5680&language=en_CA
- Optional (it has some fun pieces in it): Oboe music to enjoy: https://www.amazon.ca/Music-Oboe-Enjoy-pno/dp/B0009G0LVI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=oboe+music+to+enjoy&qid=1568235289&s=gateway&sr=8-2&linkCode=ll1&tag=abacofmu-20&linkId=876ee163873753660790a66b00ccc1fd&language=en_CA
- You will need a reed case: Keeping the reeds in the plastic shipping boxes can lead to mold! There are a range of options out there. I’ve included a list of ones that are not too expensive and that I like below. Avoid the ones where the reeds fit over pegs that swing out – they will get broken. The best ones have slots for the reeds to fit into
- Any of the reed cases from the following sites are acceptable:
- Cigarette paper without glue for drying wet pads/clearing water from keys:
Gymnopédie No 1
- Warm up by playing the high A with lots of air as loud as you can; make it sound good!
- practice the F sharp to A transition.
- once you have played the trouble spots, try to play longer sections to keep your focus through the whole piece
- try to play along with the soundcloud backing track. Its a bit fast at 80 to the quarter
- Listen to some piano recordings and see if you think the slurs in the low F sharp and E are correct!
- Use the 4 quarter notes at 60 beats per minute to play 1 octave of the scale up and down
- Check the tuner for the whole scale, especially B Csharp D
- Play the scale up and down 1 octave slurred at 60bpm