Eliana should practice 4-5 times per week for 30-45 mins per session.
- Tchaikovsky – work on articulation – staccato playing on the 8th note chords, dynamic (especially p at the lower register)
- Scamp/Sunset in Rio/Sonatina in C (first movement) – since we just began these 3 new pieces, work on the first page (notes/rhythm/articulation) of each piece hands separately
Anastasia should practice 4-5 times per week for 15-20 mins per session.
- We have reviewed Lightly Row playing hands separately and together in class – work on notes and fluency at home. If you “forget” how to play the piece, read the music and look at what note each hand begins on (with indicated fingering) to find your hand position (be mindful of the correct octave)
Vivienne should practice 4-5 times per week for 15-20 mins per session.
- Great work this week! – You’re welcome to play and warm up with the pieces we have learned, and continue working on Waltz Pantomime hands together to the middle of second page (notes/fluency)
- Maple Leaf Rag – work on left hand alone for the whole piece
Chantal should practice 4-5 times per week at 15 – 20 mins per session
- Review and perfect our last few exercises from A Dozen A Day.
- Forest Drums – great job on playing with loudness/softness! Now work on fluency, especially the right hand single-note melodic lines
- Moonlight – work on each hand separately playing smooth and softly
Alyssa should practice 4-5 times per week at 30 mins – 1 hr per session.
- Technique – for all scales, chords, and arpeggios, practice with metronome at the required tempo with finger accuracy and clarity
- Repertoire & Etude – fluency, fingering, and attention to articulation details (staccato, staccatissimo, slurs, rests, dynamic changes, voicing, phrasing, smooth playing/detached playing).
- Review When Rivers Flowed on Mars at a slow tempo
- Chord Progressions – try playing and get used to listening to chord progressions of I-IV-I and I-V-I (in your sight-reading book)
Maria should practice 4-5 times per week at 15-20 mins per session.
- Get Away/Nick Nack Paddy Wack – we’re very close on finish learning these 2 pieces – focus on the few bars with stops and mistakes, and try to add in dynamic changes in your playing
- Oh Susanna – great job on the right hand part! Review the right hand notes this week, and as well as start and learn the left hand part alone
Claire should practice 4-5 times per week at 15 – 30 mins per session.
- Phantom – work on playing with staccatos and short slurred phrases on the indicated notes (middle of first page), as well as dynamic changes (don’t be afraid to show big contrast between soft and loud). Try not to rush on the second page middle section
- Humoresque – We went through playing with both hands separately and together in class. This week, practice playing hands together for the entire piece (or to where you can comfortably) with repeat