Homework for the Week of January 9th
- Minuet (21 in Galper Book)
- Good work on this in lesson! Next lesson I’d like to talk about phrasing, so aim to be able to play through the whole thing with no breaks.
- Register Switch Warmup (Galper 68)
- Practice with a tuner this week. I use an app called n-Track Tuner.
- Use consistent air support as you cross the break, and aim to support the medium register with air support and high voicing so that it isn’t flat.
- listen to John Coltrane’s version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m2HN2y0yV8
- Play and do your best to memorize the melody these two weeks.
- F major scale, 1 octave. Focus on note switches and practice at a comfortable tempo. Aim to memorize this for next lesson.
- scalar overtone exercise on Bb major
- whisper tones, using only F and C
- Aim to produce a whisper tone on the same note you’re fingering
- C# major scale and triads with metronome
- Duet #81 at 55bpm – aim for 70-80
- Amen – trade choruses
- Listen to The Preacher (reference for Amen).
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!