Here is the homework for this week.
- Work on the chromatic scale and your Bb major scale this week! Isolate notes in groups of three/four that are giving you issues. Remember; don’t practice what you already know (although it is tempting). Focus on problem areas and parts of the scale/thirds that are giving you more difficulty.
- Spend some time on the new 12/8 piece; think of it as a piece in “3” (or a waltz). Try to get the rhythms in your head before practicing them!
- Continue working on the rest of your band music (focus on the more difficult pieces like Syncopated Clock). Don’t forget to utilize YouTube recordings of songs that are giving you a tough time!
- Try to have a balanced practice schedule!! Start with a warm up (chromatic scale w/ metronome), practice your major scales, and then practice any exercises we’ve been working on. Finish with your band music/music from lessons. If you don’t have that much time, omit the exercises and focus on your sheet music.
- Work on your chromatic scale with a metronome around 70, each note equaling two beats (half note).
- Spend a lot of time on the Mozart duet we worked on today – take things bar by bar, and focus on getting the correct rhythms.
- Work on our new Mozart duet! When practicing, take one bar at a time; figure out what the notes in each bar are before you play them. Work out the notes first, then figure out the correct rhythms. Clap them out if you need to.
- Remember to use lots of air in the lower register and to keep your jaw nice and relaxed! Otherwise, there will be difficulty getting those notes out. Think hot air, like you’re fogging up a window.
Good luck with the practicing, see you guys next week.