Happy holidays! I hope you all have a lovely, restful break. I’ll see Ryan, Alex and Camille for makeup lessons next week, and the rest of you when our lessons start up again on January 8th.
- Learn Passion Dance melody (metronome on every beat at 160 bpm – build to recording tempo)
- practice G mixolydian scale and triad pairing (handout)
- Listen to So What by Miles Davis, playing along to melody. Try improvising along to the sections using our dorian scales:
- E minor dorian (Em11 in music), from D major scale
- F minor dorian (Fm11 in music), from Eb major scale
I apologize, but I forgot to take a photo of your homework this week! Here’s a reminder to look back in your book and spend some quality time with your sax before you head away on holiday.
- Continue melody of In A Sentimental Mood, playing along to this recording (music starts after the beautiful poem at 0:56). Also, check out these recordings – they’re in different keys, so you can’t play along – but they are examples of great phrasings of this melody.
- Listen to Passion Dance by McCoy Tyner and learn melody slowly.
- Continue work from Elementary Method.
- Note naming exercise.
- Learn When The Saints Go Marching In by ear, using your page as a starting point. Also give this recording a listen – it’s in a different key, but has a great feeling!
- Galper 34, 36
- You have the same ear homework as Alex this week – perhaps you can play this song together! Learn When The Saints Go Marching In by ear, using your page as a starting point. Also give this recording a listen – it’s in a different key, but has a great feeling!
- Galper 36, 45, 47
Remember to always tongue a the firm tongue this week – tip of the tongue to the tip of the reed!
- Continue Voxman duet: ‘Air’.
- Continue C major scale – remember when octave key goes down (everything above D!)
- Alouette pg 26 of school book.
- #139 from pg 29 of school book.